|科目の目的・到達目標||1. To gain experience reading authentic articles related to science and engineering.
2. To develop reading strategies that will help students to understand complex texts.
3. To think critically about important issues in the world of technology.
|授業の概要||The aim of this course is to help students improve their academic reading skills through the study of authentic articles related to important issues in science and engineering. They will practice both close reading techniques and strategies for speed reading, such as skimming, scanning, and reading for gist. Students will also be expected to respond to the texts by summarizing, analyzing and discussing what they have read. By the end of the course, they will have gained confidence in their ability to tackle complex texts and sentence structures as well as broadening their understanding of topical issues within their field.|
|授業計画||1. Introduction and course explanation
2. Unit 1: Soccer Ball Power
3. Unit 2: Intelligent Robots
4. Unit 3: China's New Green City
5. Unit 4: Super Humans
6. Review of content and test
7. Reading project I: Choosing and researching your article
8. Reading project I: Presenting your article and research
9. Unit 5: Augmented Reality
10. Unit 6: Genetically-Modified Food
11. Unit 7: Happiness Ratings
12. Unit 8: The 4000 km/h train
13. Review of content and test
14. Reading project II: Choosing and researching your article
15. Reading project II: Presenting your article and research
|評価方法||Attendance and participation: 20%
Homework assignments: 20%
Review tests: 40%
Reading projects: 20%
It is very important to attend each class. Participation evaluation will be strict.
|テキスト・参考文献等||The instructor will supply all materials for this course.|
|授業外の学習活動||指You will be expected to read and summarize each article before class. In addition, you will be required to work outside class on two reading projects.|