|授業担当教員||ブラウン ，マイケル デニス|
|教員カナ氏名||ブラウン ，マイケル デニス|
|科目の目的・到達目標||This course is designed to give students opportunities to improve their speaking and listening skills in a unique format. Instead of using a traditional 英会話 textbook, the first half of an actual science textbook reader, designed to develop scientific literacy, will be employed as a reference reader from which students will create their own talking and discussion points.|
|授業の概要||Students will work with a partner or in small groups. Students will create their own talking points and make specific questions from the assigned homework reading section from the text.|
Week 1: General Introduction to Course, a one-minute video clip from the cartoon show, then a quick scan of the textbook’s introduction and format. The first class will end with a ten-minute “TED” video presentation on Big History.
Week 2: Chapter One: Knowing, text book, pages 3-25.
Week 3: Chapter Two: Energy, pages 26-43.
Week 4: Chapter Three: Electricity and Magnetism, pages 44-66.
Week 5: Review of chapters one, two and three and summary of key points.
Week 6: Chapter 4: The Atom, pages 67-79
Week 7: Chapter Five: The World of the Quantum, pages 80-93.
Week 8: Chapter Six: Chemical Bonding, pages 94-114.
Week 9: Review Of chapters four, five and six and summary of key points.
Week 10: Chapter Seven: Atomic Structure, pages 115-126
Week 11: Chapter Seven, continued: Atomic Structure, pages 126-136
Week 12: Chapter Eight: Nuclear Physics, pages 137-152
Week 13: Chapter Nine: The Fundamental Structure of Matter, pages 153-164
Week 14: Review and discussion :
Week 15: Final Review and summary
|評価方法||Attendance and class participation weigh heavily in student evaluation, making up 60% of evaluation. Sleeping in class is never considered an act of participation and will never be rewarded. A Final exam and or report will make up the remaining 40% of final evaluation.|
|テキスト・参考文献等||Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy", by Robert M. Hazen and James Trefil, Ancho Books, 2nd edition 2009.
The teacher will provide supplemental reading material, homework assignments as well as short video (YouTube, etc) presentations.
|授業外の学習活動||Students will use Internet resources and have a number of outside writing assignments.|