|科目の目的・到達目標||The main aim of this course is to enhance your speaking, writing, and listening skills. You will expand your vocabulary, learn important communication strategies and practise them in different situations. You will also learn some useful writing strategies and work on your ability to understand spoken English.|
|授業の概要||The course will combine speaking, listening, and writing practice in each class. Every class will start with discussions based on homework. Students will be provided with some short articles and discussion questions on a variety of topics and activities for developing useful communication and writing skills. Students will then apply these skills in different situations, such as discussions and sharing opinions in writing. We will also watch and discuss some video materials (as homework or in class) and work on some short projects.|
1. Introducing course materials and course requirements; students’ self-introductions.
2. Self-study websites & learning strategies. Useful vocabulary for class work. Email English.
3. W5+H, follow-on questions and showing interest. Conducting interviews and reporting them in writing.
4. Building good vocabulary: using synonyms and avoiding repetition in speech and in writing. Writing a descriptive text based on class materials.
5. Skills for re-telling stories and reporting events: W5 + H and making notes. Strategies for re-telling short stories and articles.
6. Topic 1: vocabulary, discussions, opinion paragraphs. Describing cause and effect.
7. Topic 1: how to describe issues.
8. Group presentations based on homework. Topic 2: vocabulary and discussions. Persuasive strategies in speaking and writing.
9. Topic 2: agreeing & disagreeing; basic debating skills.
10. Group discussions based on homework. Topic 3: vocabulary and discussions. Making suggestions and giving advice.
11. Topic 3: interviews and pair work based on class materials.
12. Writing for speaking: mini-research project: choosing and discussing topics.
13. Basic research skills: making mind-maps and planning a short talk.
14. Presenting projects in small groups.
15. Semester revision/summary. Objectives for next semester.
|評価方法||Participation and class work: 30%, homework and projects: 40%, end-of-semester project: 30%|
|テキスト・参考文献等||All materials will be provided by the teacher.|
|授業外の学習活動||Weekly homework will consist of reading or listening to online materials, or writing short assignments, or preparing short presentations.|