|授業科目名||Presentation and Discussion（２）／Ｓpeech and Ｄebate（後期）|
|科目の目的・到達目標||In this course students will learn core language and skills for presentations, and study useful techniques for persuasive and successful discussions and debating.
There will be a lot of speaking practice, both in presentations and group discussions. Students will also learn some important research skills and work on several research projects on the topics of their choice.
|授業の概要||Students will examine different stages of presentation and learn the necessary skills needed for a fluent and confident speech. They will then apply these skills to a variety of topics of their choice. As well as the standard presentation skills, such as delivery style, overview, transitioning, and structure of introductions, body, and conclusions, we will also examine persuasive techniques and learn how to speak with more impact.
Students will also learn to formulate and organise their opinions and defend them in a debate. We will discuss some recent issues and practise expressing opinions, agreeing and disagreeing, and building persuasive arguments. Class work will be on group and individual research projects, which will give students plenty of opportunities to discuss their research topics with their classmates.
|授業計画||1. Setting semester objectives. Conducting interviews for presentations.
2. Presentations based on interviews. Introduction to "Gap Year Project".
3. "Gap Year Project" week 1: choosing and discussing destinations.
4. "Gap Year Project" week 2: what is culture? Group discussions and preparing for presentations.
5. "Gap Year Project" week 3: presenting destinations. Group presentations and discussions.
6. "Gap Year Project" week 4: researching and discussing issues. Mind-mapping and planning.
7. "Gap Year Project" week 5: what is volunteering? Group discussions.
8. "Gap Year Project" – final presentations and peer feedback.
9. Speech of tribute: examples and discussions.
10. Speeches of tribute. Group reviews and reflections.
11. ‘Real-life’ speeches: a choice of topics and situations.
12. A Year in Review: discussions and presentations.
13. Selecting and researching topics for final presentations. Analysing and discussing sample presentations.
14. Final presentations and group discussions.
15. Course summary.
|評価方法||Participation, attendance and class work: 40%, projects and presentations: 60%.|
|テキスト・参考文献等||All materials will be supplied by the teacher.|
|授業外の学習活動||Weekly homework will consist of researching various topics and preparing presentations and discussions based on them.|