|科目の目的・到達目標||The aims and objectives of this course are to learn how to and improve upon the following:
• Choosing a topic and being able to explain why you chose the topic.
• Researching your topic and providing resources
• Explaining your notes from your research in English
• Brainstorming and speaking outline
• Identifying issues and questions for research
• Paraphrasing and summarizing information and ideas
• Understanding various examples of presentations and areas of your topic of interest
• Making and re-organizing notes on information sources
• Making a presentation using posters, PPT, kamishibai, or keynote
• Reading and responding to classmates’ presentations
|授業の概要||In this class you will be learning English mainly through research, discussions and presentations on a variety of topics including business, politics and economic issues that affect both Japan and the world. You will be expected to work in small groups and have discussions on the topics. In addition, you will also study and learn about presentation techniques such as eye contact, movement and gestures to help make your presentations more exciting and interesting for the listener. Also some time will be spent with pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary.|
|授業計画||Class 1. Introductions (course and personal)
Class 2. How to present, choosing a topic interest, brainstorming and researching
Class 3. Note-taking (summarizing and paraphrasing)
Class 4. In class discussion on the topic
Class 5. Outline and poster presentation preparation
Class 6. In-class informal presentation practice
Class 7. In-class formal poster presentation
Class 8. In-class formal poster presentation
Class 9. Cycle 2 – Choosing a topic, brainstorming and researching
Class 10. Discussion of research
Class 11. Note-taking and discussion on your topic
Class 12. In class discussion on the topic
Class 13. Outline and poster presentation preparation
Class 14. In-class informal presentation
Class 15. In-class formal poster presentation and end of semester class survey and reflection
|評価方法||Grades are based on the following:
• Prepare outside of class each week 1 - 2 hours.
• Participate actively in class each week.
• Help each other use English in class.
• Complete assignments on time.
• Reflect on your development through the course.
You will develop and present two presentations for the first semester with each presentation being a little longer and more in depth.
Evaluation is what we do to decide a GRADE in each semester
In class participation: 10%
Weekly activities: 15%
(1 presentation per semester) Presentations: 20%
Mid-term test – 20%
Final test – 20%
|テキスト・参考文献等||There is no textbook for this course, but there will be handouts and other materials given out each class.|
|授業外の学習活動||During the course please prepare outside of class each week 1 - 2 hours based upon the weekly course assignments given during each class.|