|科目の目的・到達目標||This course aims to cultivate presentation, discussion, and debate skills in English. By the end of the course, students should be able to:
(1) make effective presentations that appeal to audience,
(2) make persuasive arguments in discussion,
(3) debate on a variety of current social issues.
|授業の概要||The main part of the class will be student-oriented discussion and debate. Students are expected to complete introductory sections of the unit and read the chapters specified by the lecturer prior to class.
Students will discuss one topic every week. The weekly topic is introduced as a presentation given by students and group discussion will follow. In the end, students will be divided into two groups to debate on the topic in question.
|評価方法||Two-thirds of attendance is required for credit recognition. If students miss five classes, they will automatically fail the course.
Evaluation will be based on class participation (30%), individual presentation (30%), contribution to group discussion and debate (40%).
(1) Ueda, I., Ueda, T., Taoka, C., & Yoneoka, E. (2014) Pros and cons: Discussing today's Controversial issues. Cengage Learning.
(2) ウィリアム・リード.（2014）世界最高のプレゼン術. 角川書店.
Both textbooks are required.
Read the relevant chapters of the presentation textbook and complete the first four pages of the unit in the debate textbook prior to class.
Review the weekly topic and practice to make strong arguments to support your own opinion in English.