|科目の目的・到達目標||We will concentrate on improving basic listening, speaking and presentation skills. You will learn to express your opinion, listen to and respond to others and think critically about what you have heard.|
|授業の概要||This course will be a combination of a textbook, writing assignments and a variety of group activities, which will include projects, presentations, a movie and discussions. For homework you will prepare the topic of the day and be prepared to discuss it in small groups in class. You will research, prepare and take part in group presentations to the class. There will also be monthly writing assignments.|
|授業計画||1) Introduction and Orientation.
2) Objectives, methods and topics.
3) TOEFL essay #1
4) Topic 1 - How to use the book and work in groups.
5) Topic 2 - Listening to and responding to others.
6) Cultural Stereotypes - explain and set-up.
7) C.S. presentations - research.
8) C.S. presentations - preparation/practice.
9) C.S. Presentations 1 & 2
10) C.S. Presentations 3 & 4
11) C.S. Presentations 5 & 6
12) TOEFL essay #2
13) Topic 3 - Expressing yourself clearly.
15) 2nd Term timeline and set-up.
16) TOEFL essay #3
17) Topic 5 - Making inferences.
18) Topic 6 - Critical thinking.
19) Topic 7 - Putting it all together.
20) Group Projects - set-up.
21) Projects - preparation/practice.
22) Project presentations: 1 & 2
23) Project presentations: 3 & 4
24) Project presentations: 5 & 6
25) Movie - part 1.
26) Movie - part 2.
27) Roving discussions.
28) New Year - taking stock.
|評価方法||Your evaluation will be Participation: 50% - Presentations: 30% - Monthly Checks: 20%.
ACTIVE participation in your group each week is essential.
|テキスト・参考文献等||Impact Issues 2 (Longman/Pearson)|
|授業外の学習活動||You must prepare for our weekly group discussions - I will check homework. You must also actively help your group in everything they do.|