|科目の目的・到達目標||The main aim of this course is to enhance your speaking, writing, listening, and basic research skills, and to explore important study skills necessary for other language courses and further studies. You will expand your vocabulary, learn important communication strategies and practise them in different situations. You will also learn some effective writing strategies and improve your ability to understand spoken English by working with some useful self-study websites.|
|授業の概要||The course will combine speaking, listening, and writing practice in each class. Every class will start with discussions based on homework. Students will be provided with some short articles and discussion questions on a variety of topics and activities for developing useful communication and writing skills. Students will then apply these skills in different situations, such as discussions and sharing opinions in writing. You will also watch and discuss some video materials (as part of your homework) and work on some short research and discussion projects.|
|授業計画||1. Introducing course materials and course requirements; students’ self-introductions.
2. Useful vocabulary for class work. Email English.
3. Communication strategies: follow-on questions and showing interest. Conducting interviews and reporting them in writing.
4. Building good vocabulary: using synonyms and avoiding repetition in speech and in writing. Writing a descriptive text (short stories) based on class materials.
5. Skills for re-telling stories, articles, and reporting events; speaking and writing from notes.
6. Topic 1: vocabulary, discussions, opinion paragraphs. Describing cause and effect.
7. Topic 1: how to describe issues.
8. Group presentations based on homework. Topic 2: vocabulary and discussions. Persuasive strategies in speaking and writing.
9. Topic 2: agreeing & disagreeing; basic debating skills.
10. Group discussions based on homework. Topic 3: vocabulary and discussions. Making suggestions and giving advice.
11. Topic 3: interviews and pair work based on class materials.
12. Writing for speaking: mini-research project: choosing and discussing topics.
13. Basic research skills: making mind-maps and planning a short talk.
14. Presenting projects in small groups.
|評価方法||Participation, attendance and class work: 40%, weekly homework and projects: 60%.|
|テキスト・参考文献等||All materials will be provided by the teacher.|
|授業外の学習活動||Weekly homework will consist of reading or listening to online materials, or writing short assignments, or researching and preparing short presentations.|