|授業科目名||Presentation and Discussion（１）|
|科目の目的・到達目標||In this course students will learn core language and skills for presentations, and study useful techniques for persuasive and successful discussions and debating.
There will be a lot of speaking practice, both in presentations and group discussions. Students will also learn some important research skills and work on several research projects on the topics of their choice. Each presentation and group discussion will be followed by background reading on variety of topics. Students will write their own individual speeches and opinions for class activities.
|授業の概要||Students will examine different stages of presentation and learn the necessary skills needed for a fluent and confident speech. They will then apply these skills to a variety of topics of their choice. As well as the standard presentation skills, such as delivery style, overview, transitioning, and structure of introductions, body, and conclusions, we will also examine persuasive techniques and learn how to speak with more impact.
Students will also learn to formulate and organise their opinions and defend them in a debate. We will discuss some recent issues and practise expressing opinions, agreeing and disagreeing, and building persuasive arguments. Class work will be on group and individual research projects, which will give students plenty of opportunities to discuss their research topics with their classmates.
|授業計画||1. Course introduction, self-introductions.
2. Introductory group project: a survey and presentation (week 1: survey methods – how to organize and conduct a survey)
3. Survey project (week 2: analysing survey results & preparing a presentation)
4. Survey presentation. Brainstorming topics for research project # 1.
5. Discussing chosen topics. Research skills: taking research notes and incorporating them into presentations.
7. Project discussions. Research skills: planning & mind-mapping. Presentation skills: effective introductions and conclusions.
8. Explaining and discussing homework research. Dealing with difficult questions.
9. Project # 1 presentations. Peer feedback and reflections on each other’s presentations.
10. Selecting issues for research project # 2. What is a ‘persuasive opinion’? Brainstorming debatable topics.
11. Developing arguments and research questions.
12. Persuasive vs. informative speaking. Persuasive techniques and rhetorical devices.
13. Explaining and discussing homework research. Creating mind-maps & planning presentations. Counter-arguments and rebuttals.
14. Project # 2 presentations. Peer feedback and reflections on each other’s presentations.
|評価方法||Attendance and in-class work: 40%, projects and presentations: 60%|
|テキスト・参考文献等||All materials will be provided by the teacher.|
|授業外の学習活動||Weekly homework will consist of researching various topics and preparing presentations and discussions based on them.|